The first part of the hugely anticipated Minecraft 1.17 “Caves & Cliffs” update has officially landed. The update is now available for Minecrafters to download and play on their device of choice.
Mojang has described the 1.17 update as their most ambitious undertaking. This is partly why the update is coming in two parts. The second part is due to be released in a couple of months.
World generation changes are set to arrive in part two of the update. This is arguably one of the most anticipated features in the Caves & Cliffs update among Minecraft fans.
What new features are available in the Minecraft 1.17 part 1 update?
Several new Minecraft features have arrived as part of today’s update, including new mobs, items, blocks, advancements, over 300 bug fixes, accessibility improvements, and much more.
New mobs added in the Minecraft 1.17 part 1 update
Three new mobs were added to the official release of Minecraft today. These are Goats, Axolotls, and Glow Squids. The highly anticipated Warden mob is expected to be released in the second part of the update.
New blocks added in the Minecraft 1.17 part 1 update
A myriad of new blocks has been added to Minecraft today, thanks to this update. These blocks include:
- Dripstone & Pointed Dripstone
- Block of Amethyst
- Block of Raw Iron, Gold & Copper
- Powder snow block
- Deepslate & Infected Deepslate
- Deepslate ores
- Deepslate bricks, wall, stairs, and slabs
- Cracked Deepslate bricks, wall, stairs, and slabs
- Polished Deepslate bricks, wall, stairs, and slabs
- Cobbled Deepslate bricks, wall, stairs, and slabs
- Deepslate tile bricks, wall, stairs, and slabs
- Tinted glass
- Smooth & Polished Basalt
- Moss block
- Rooted dirt
- Dripstone Blocks
New items added in the Minecraft 1.17 part 1 update
Along with the new blocks, a bunch of new items has also been added to the game. These items include:
- Bucket of powdered snow
- Glow item frames
- Glow squid ink sac
- Azalea flower
- Lightning rod
- Hanging roots
- Axolotl, Goat, and Glow Squid spawn eggs
- Glow berries
New advancements added in the Minecraft 1.17 part 1 update
Lots of new advancements have been added to Minecraft as part of the Caves & Cliffs update, including:
- “Whatever Floats Your Goat!” for floating in a boat with a Goat.
- “Wax on” for applying Honeycomb to a Copper block.
- “Wax off” for scraping wax off a Copper block.
- “The Cutest Predator” for catching an Axolotl in a Bucket.
- “The Healing Power of Friendship!” for teaming up with an Axolotl and winning a fight.
- “Glow and Behold” for making a Sign glow.
- “Light as a Rabbit” for walking on Powder Snow with Leather Boots.
- “Surge Protector!” for having a lightning strike a Lightning Rod near a Villager without setting the area on fire.
- “Is It a Bird?” for looking at a Parrot through a Spyglass.
- “Is It a Balloon?” for looking at a Ghast through a Spyglass.
- “Is It a Plane?” for looking at the Ender Dragon through a Spyglass.
Players can read more about the new advancements here.
Other notable features added in the Minecraft 1.17 part 1 update:
Although it’s only the first part of the full update, today’s patch was pretty vast and included a lot of things most players might not even notice. Some of the most notable features include:
- A Shulker hitting a Shulker with a Shulker Bullet can make a new Shulker.
- Additions to Wandering Trader and Mason trades.
- Bundles and Shulker Box items will drop their contents when destroyed.
- Changed Infested Block destroy times.
- Changes to Shipwreck and Mineshaft loot.
- Dirt Paths (formerly Grass Path) can now be made by using a Shovel on Dirt, Podzol, Mycelium, or Coarse Dirt (as well as Grass).
- Drowned now has a chance of dropping a Copper Ingot, and they no longer drop Gold Ingots.
- Experience Orbs now sometimes merge when in large quantities to improve performance. This does not change the rate at which the player can absorb them, it simply limits the amount of separate orbs floating around in the world. Orbs that merge will gain the lifetime of the most recently created one.
- Holding down the space bar now increases the scroll speed in the credits.
- Minecarts and Rails work in water.
- Particles now appear when Pistons break blocks.
- Reordered some blocks in the Building Blocks Tab in the Creative Menu.
- Reordered the Redstone Tab in the Creative Menu.
- Simple Firework Rockets with one Gunpowder can now be crafted using the recipe book.
Players can read more about other features, including new technical features, here.
Kindly help Sportskeeda’s Minecraft section improve by taking this 30-second survey.